Homemade "Baked" Beans
I made homemade baked beans in the slow cooker for the first time this weekend. I don't have a picture because they were consumed before I had a chance. The usual suspects were involved: ketchup, molasses, onion, mustard, apple cider vinegar, honey, and spices as desired. There are two things that I want to encourage y'all to try. First, don't be afraid of using dried beans. It allows you to control the sodium and additives. It isn't that hard to soak beans in a container. Then put them in a pot with water and cook them until tender. They don't even require stirring at this point.
The other key is to use FRESH ginger. The spicy, aromatic flavor is beyond wonderful. I started the slow cooker on high for 1.5 hours and then turned it down to low and let it go for about 6 hours. I stirred the mixture a few times.
The other key is to use FRESH ginger. The spicy, aromatic flavor is beyond wonderful. I started the slow cooker on high for 1.5 hours and then turned it down to low and let it go for about 6 hours. I stirred the mixture a few times.

2 Comments:
At 2/26/2008 11:53 PM,
20-30-40 said…
Sounds yummy. Too bad you can't FedEx us some.
At 2/27/2008 9:58 PM,
Ellie said…
That sounds delish. I never thought of using fresh ginger. Thanks for the good idea. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home