Qualifying Exam
In chemistry we didn't have qualifying or cumulative exams. We took an entrance exam and that was great. We also had other things but no qual. or cum. In my new department, we have a qualifying exam. It is three hours of oral grilling by three to four professors. I will be tested on biochemical nutrition, chemistry, and microbiology. There will probably also be a good amount of safety and regulation thrown in because I have had more than the normal number of hours in that area. I am a bit freaked out because I don't know what to expect. Nobody wants to look bad or stupid in front of people they respect but the point is for them to identify what I know and what I don't know. Basically, they are going to grill me until I break. I don't know how that is going to work for me because I can be pretty defensive about my knowledge base. I really don't want to get into a fight with my professors. Not a good way to facilitate relationships.

4 Comments:
At 11/13/2007 2:43 PM,
Fruit tart said…
*After* you have finished your qual, ask me about my oral exam . . . ;-)
At 11/13/2007 7:37 PM,
20-30-40 said…
Any way you can get some friends in the department to give you a mock exam for practice?
Let me know when your exam will be so we can keep you in our prayers!
At 11/14/2007 10:51 AM,
Anonymous said…
I wouldn't worry too much about arguing with them. In my experience, they're more evaluating your capacity as a PhD than your actual knowledge. Being a PhD means that you have to be able to (1) know when you don't know something and what to do about it, and (2) know when you do know something and what to do about THAT. Yes, that's on top of knowing all the basic information in your area, but I think you'll be fine.
Though I definitely agree about the mock exams.
-DC
At 11/14/2007 12:02 PM,
Ofelia said…
Fruittart: Do I want to hear your story after my qual. or wait until after my prelim?
DC: As soon as I set a date for my qual., I set a date for my mock exam. I now just need to find people to grill me. That isn't as easy as it sounds but I do have my advisor on board. It will all work out.
Post a Comment
<< Home