From The Middle Of A Soybean Field

Mindless musings to pass the time while staring at lots of soy...

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Definition of Christianity Part II- Too long to be a comment

I contacted another one of my Mormon friends.In the past we had talked about a evangelical minister and Mormon who traveled together discussing these issues. They are Robert Millet and Gregory Johnson. I told him about the discussion I was having concerning the definition of Christianity and I asked him if I could include his response here.

"I don't know what you mean by 'glory,' "Alice said.

Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. "Of course you don't -- till I tell you. I meant "there's a nice knock-down argument for you!'"

"But `glory' doesn't mean `a nice knock-down argument,'" Alice objected.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

Alice was too much puzzled to say anything, so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again.

"They've a temper, some of them -- particularly verbs, they're the proudest -- adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs -- however, I can manage the whole lot! Impenetrability! That's what I say!"

That's from Alice Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll.
I can see the point. Our church doesn't accept other church's baptisms as fulfilling completely the commandment, so to them it's like we're already telling them that they're not Christian enough for us. So they respond by saying, well you're not Christian, either. "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home