From The Middle Of A Soybean Field

Mindless musings to pass the time while staring at lots of soy...

Saturday, July 08, 2006

True Honesty

That title might seem redundant but as it turns out we don't all have the same definition of honesty. Perhaps it would be better to say that we don't all have the same idea of what counts as being dishonest. I was having a discussion with a family member the other day and I was shocked at where he drew the line between being dishonest and not disclosing to prevent hurt. I think that honesty is essential and even find painful honesty appropriate in most cases. Whenever I am asked about what to say I choose the most honest answer. As an example, in one of my previous dating relationships I was struggling with whether or not to continue the relationship. He could sense something was wrong and rather than just say I had a lot on my mind I chose to be completely honest. It was painful for both of us but we knew that it was best to talk about it. I was then asked, ""What do you say to the question does this outfit make me look fat?". Having asked that question a million times, I can sympathize with the person being put in that situation. However, I will say this. My family is the first to tell me "Yes!" about that question when it is true. For instance my Rock t-shirt makes my arms look quite bulky according to certain members of my family. Perhaps I have just grown up with a family who enjoys brutal honesty. I do know this. I can't stand dishonesty (lying) or deception. I think it is the quickest way to ruin any relationship. I am not saying that you can't be tactful. I think communication can be quite effective and we are constantly learning how to better communicate with others.

In summary, I want others to know that my yes is yes and my no is no. I don't want the weight of my words to be doubted. This is not to say that I have mastered this because I am far from it. This is to say that I am trying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home