I started with this recipe because it was awesome:
http://fruittart.wordpress.com/2007/02/12/a-tale-of-two-loins/
but I didn't really have any of the ingredients so I decided to improvise. I chopped up some onions and apricots along with an orange pepper. I added some lemon juice, garlic, salt pepper, and red chili pepper flakes. I let that simmer for a while and then set some aside. To the rest I added some brown rice and olive oil. I split the pork loin in half and gave it a little pounding to help flatten it out. I rubbed the pork with olive oil and salt and pepper and stuffed it and then tied it with the help of my roommate. I baked it at 350 for one hour (because Fruittart said so). While the loin was baking I simmered the reserved apricot mixture with water, some more lemon juice and spices, and some agave nectar for sweetness. I uncovered the loin, smeared on the simmered mixture and cooked for an additional 25 minutes or until the temperature reached 165. I let it rest and then cut into it. It is pretty good but not as good as the one made for small group by the Jedi Master Fruittart. Next time I will add more liquid, perhaps agave nectar, to the stuffing mixture to keep it from drying out. There are some who will go to a lower temperature on pork but I will not for food safety reasons.
Labels: recipes

2 Comments:
At 5/29/2007 10:57 AM,
Ramona said…
wow, i'm impressed! not only are you eating pork, but making it too! :)
At 5/29/2007 2:39 PM,
Anonymous said…
I'm so glad you gave it a try! It looks good. I have a little less than a 1/2 cup of the jerk seasoning left -- I could give you a little for the next time you try this. It really adds a lot of flavor. The kids like it when I sprinkle a little on beans and rice too! ;-)
Post a Comment
<< Home