From The Middle Of A Soybean Field

Mindless musings to pass the time while staring at lots of soy...

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

International Travel

So here is my problem. I have never traveled outside the continental US. Outside of the military, neither has my family. I purchased a passport about a year ago so that I could travel if the occasion called for it. I grew up in small town USA and there are a lot of things about traveling that I just don't know about.

I have been invited to Brazil and I really want to go. I can speak some Spanish but I can only read some Portuguese. In theory, I will be meeting my Brazilian coworker at the airport. Am I stupid for even considering this? He was here from November to January and we worked together. I trusted him to perform my lab experiments while I was gone but do I trust him enough to visit him. I want to because quite frankly, I want to go to Brazil, but is this an unwise thing to do? My family says "Yes". Some friends say no. I don't know.

2 Comments:

  • At 2/18/2009 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    People do this stuff all the time. Just read some travel guides before you go and make sure you have some backup plans in case you can't find him at the airport (figure out how to call his cell phone?) or if something goes horribly wrong (figure out how to call the US embassy) and you should be fine. There are lots of travel books for anything else you might care about.

    Of course, that's for the international travel part of the question. For the question of whether you should travel to visit some guy, that depends on how adventurous you are.

    As someone who likes to think of myself as adventurous, I say you go for it. Seize the moment and all that.

     
  • At 2/18/2009 1:19 PM, Blogger Ellie said…

    Go! Again, I say, Go! It may not be the "wise" choice, going by conventional wisdom, but it is a good, enriching, bewildering, courageous, adventurous choice. Have a great time and don't forget to send us postcards!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home